Carpet choices: What will last the longest?
When deciding on the ideal choice for your home’s flooring, you want to pick something durable. Whatever material you choose for your floor, you know it will be walked on every day, and maybe even rolled around on by children or pets.
Choosing carpet flooring for your home offers the warmth and comfort of synthetic or natural fibres, a cushioning effect, is non-slippery, and quiet. So, what type of carpet lasts the longest from your carpet flooring store?
- Wool fibre carpet flooring is one of the strongest options on the market for the following reasons.
- Wool is a natural fibre made up of amino acid chains that are completely biodegradable. So, when you have extra carpet to be thrown out or need a carpet re-fresh, you don’t have to be concerned about adding non-environmentally friendly waste to the earth.
- Do you have allergies? Wool can be a saving grace in your home. When dust and dirt land in the fibres, it is less likely to cause you to have a major allergy attack. These pollutants are absorbed by the wool and stay contained instead of floating in the air causing you to have a sneezing, coughing fit. The fibres are usually longer and thicker than most other carpet fibres making it near impossible to inhale any dust and dirt. A good vacuuming lifts out the dust and dirt, leaving your wool fibres intact.
Retains its shape
- The elasticity of wool allows it to be stretched up to 40% beyond its original length and then return to the size it was before. Tons of people can walk on your wool carpet, smooshing it down, but then when they are gone, the carpet bounces back to its original appearance.
- While other carpet fibres might catch fire quickly and put you in a panic, wool is flame-resistant, meaning that it is more likely to leave a dissipating ash than catch on fire.
Nylon is a premium carpet fibre that is also extremely durable. It can take a lot of wear and tear because of the strength of its material.
Resistant to staining
- When treated, it can be quite stain-resistant so is a terrific choice for high-traffic areas in your home where people are likely to spill.
This type of carpet is extremely soft under your feet and comes in many colour choices, but the benefits don’t stop here.
- Polyester is a safe carpet for your home. While mold and mildew could build up in the fibres of your carpet over time especially if there are lots of spills happening, you can be grateful that polyester has less chance of this occurring. It is extremely resistant to mould and mildew so a safe, healthy choice for your family home.
Polypropylene or olefin
- Polypropylene or olefin carpet flooring is a popular choice in commercial spaces while also used in residential applications. It is often placed in commercial spaces because it lends itself well to heavy foot traffic.
Are you worried about the sun fading out your carpet? Polypropylene or olefin is a strong fibre resistant to fading whether it be from natural light or lots of footprints. All carpet colours fade over time, but this type of fibre is less likely to show negative effects over long periods.
If you need more tips for choosing a type of carpet that will last the longest, speak with a representative at a carpet flooring store who can show you some samples of the different options available to you.
Contact us for any questions you have about the professionals from the Cochrane flooring store of your choice.